History in Motion ~ Fort Henry National Historic Site
“Fort Henry was built from 1832 to 1837 to replace an existing fortification from the War of 1812 era.
Situated atop Point Henry, the Fort protected the naval dockyard at Point Frederick, the entrance of the Rideau Canal and the town of Kingston, which was the major transshipment point along the supply route between Montreal or Ottawa and all points west.
The British Army garrisoned Fort Henry until 1870 when Queen Victoria’s troops were pulled out of Canada. Soon after, “A” Battery, School of Gunnery, followed by “B” Battery, took up residence in the Fort and remained there until 1891.”